Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Aujourd'hui j'entre à novembre

I quote this sweet poem by Henry Ward Beecher, what he wrote about October.  
"October is nature's funeral month.  Nature glories in death more than in life..."

Like I said in the previous posts, October was the month of death and sadness. The weather brought us such as gloomy feeling, desperate enough about the delayed appointments and, of course, sadness. It has been said according to the nature spoken to us. Rainy season. Disaster in our living place, let's say, flood in Jakarta has made several places seemed death. Bigger disaster also happened in Mount Merapi, central java and Mentawai island, west Sumatra. People were actually death, struggle for their life, still seeking for help and living in shelters and some of them suffering post- traumatic stress from the disaster. Nature's funeral month in our country brought us together to pray for Indonesia, we send our condolence with the sign of a black ribbon.

As I recall, October also brought us some issues about numbers. The myth about numbers related to the  disaster that they found odd on October, 26th. Which was the date of  Mount Merapi volcanic eruption, earthquake and tsunami in Mentawai island. Some people believed the riddle about number 26 was related to specific previous events and somehow, connected to the bible. But, again, personally, I don't believe in coincidence. The other issue that I found more strange was the numbers of 10-10-10. Yup, people got married, celebrated events and others were focus on what they called 'once-in-a-lifetime' numbers.

But now we say g'bye to October and welcome a new month of the year, November.

We begin this month with sequence disaster of Mount Merapi that unleash powerful eruption again. Mount Merapi erupted 4 times after its status was raised to "beware" level, namely on October 26, 30, 31, and last on November 1. Has been reported that the eruption on November 1 occurred at 10.02 a.m. local time when volcanic materials were flung 1.5 km into the sky and there were no volcanic temblors.

My grandma lives in Magelang, about 2 hours from Jogyakarta, and also some families and relatives lives in villages near to Jogyakarta. And I thank God they're ok. I think my mom would ask them to come to Jakarta if things getting worse. I hope it won't. I, personally, don't buy about what they called 'kejawen' that they believe and myth around the Mount Merapi. I just think God speak His words through this events.

As we welcome this month, I think this month will do another business. We're still on a term of rainy season. According to local news, Jakarta will sink! Jakarta`s open green spaces now continued to be reduced. Of the 661.52 sq kilometers of space, now only about 9.6 percent had remained. The remainder has been transformed into building sites. They predicted Jakarta will drown around 2030 to 2050. Well, I'll be old by then. I think it's time to teach my son, Noah to build an ark. Modern ark with air-cons, a king size bed and spa, maybe.

One of my friend told me that there was a rainbow appear in the sky this afternoon, around 5 or 6 pm. Hard to say, was it a rainbow or moonbow? I was reading about this thing, that it was more like a sun rainbow ring kinda thingy or a halo, or maybe what they called circumhorizontal arc (CHA). Well, they said it was another strange phenomenon but as I was looking at the picture, it was a good view around traffic in Jakarta after all.

November already brought businesses for our country. I know it will bring something to our heart and live. For me, I categorized month based on my observation and I make the conclusion in the end of the month. Such as; Sweet Fairy May, Heartbreaks Lune in June, Goodbyes July, Crudest August and SAD Troubler October. The Anglo-Saxons referred to November as the 'wind month' and the 'blood month'. Yet, I still can't refer November to anything, as tomorrow is a mystery. Aujourd'hui j'entre à novembre.

"It's all a farce, – these tales they tell
About the breezes sighing,
And moans astir o'er field and dell,
Because the year is dying."
-   Paul Laurence Dunbar,  Lyrics of a Lowly Life

Regards,
Kezia Mamoto

0 comments:

Post a Comment